Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich is a delicious and flavorful meal. A hearty multigrain bun, tender grilled chicken, lettuce, and tomato, make this sandwich perfect for lunch or dinner.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwiches
Chick Fil A is famous for its chicken sandwiches, and the chain’s grilled chicken sandwich is no exception. Although this version lacks the famously crispy and golden crust of most Chick Fil A’s menu items, it still has the legendary flavor that sets the restaurant apart from its competitors.
Without the added fat and calories from deep-frying, you will be able to indulge more often.
Why You Should Try This Copycat Chick Fil a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
This recipe is much more than just another grilled boneless chicken breast on a bun. Although the slightly odd ingredient list is on the long side, and you must plan well in advance, the taste is definitely worth it.
The one-of-a-kind combination of the pickle juice and buttermilk in the marinade tenderizes the chicken and gives the meat a unique flavor you will love.
Ingredients You Will Need
Since the ingredient list for the grilled chicken sandwich Chick Fil A recipe is rather lengthy, dividing it into different parts makes it easier to organize:
For the chicken, you’ll need:
- Boneless chicken breasts
You will have to cut the boneless breast of the chicken in half horizontally and then pound each piece out thin. You can sometimes find prepared chicken filets to make chicken burgers to save time. Just make sure that the prepared chicken isn’t already flavored.
To make the marinade for the Chick Fil A grilled chicken sandwich recipe, you’ll need:
- Pickle juice
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Celery salt
For cooking, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
To assemble the grilled chicken sandwich Chick Fil A serves, you’ll need:
- Hamburger buns – multigrain, whole-wheat, or multigrain brioche bun
- Green Leaf Lettuce
Nutrient values including protein, fiber, carbohydrates, calcium, sodium, cholesterol, vitamin C, and grams of fat can be found in the recipe card below.
How To Make a Chick Fil a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally. Place a half breast in a plastic bag, and use the flat side of a meat tenderizer to gently pound the chicken until it is an even thickness. The exact thickness doesn’t matter much, but a consistent thickness ensures the meat cooks at the same time.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl or sealing bag. Stir or shake well to combine.
- Add the cut chicken breasts to the bowl. If using a bag, close it securely and massage the marinade into the meat and place the bag onto a rimmed pan in case of leaking. Allow the chicken to marinade for at least 30 minutes or longer in the fridge. Two hours is ideal.
- When ready to cook the chicken, heat the grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Prepare the seasoning blend by combing salt, ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and celery salt in a small bowl. Season chicken with the seasoning blend.
- Brush oil on the grill grates.
- Grill the chicken breasts for four to five minutes on the first side and slightly less on the second side. The chicken should release easily from the grates when it is ready to flip. Don’t play with the chicken to allow it to develop nice-looking grill marks.
- When the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, take the chicken off the grill and allow it to rest on a wire rack or baking sheet.
- Brush the cut sides of the buns with olive oil. Toast the buns on the grill or under the broiler for about 30 seconds.
- Assemble the copycat Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich by placing the lettuce on the bottom bun, followed by two thin slices of tomato, the grilled chicken, and finally adding the top bun.
Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich
Bacon makes everything better, and adding a few slices to this sandwich turns it into a version of the classic club sandwich. Layer on extra lettuce and tomato, and try combining store-bought honey-mustard with just a touch of sweet BBQ sauce for a bit of a kick.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Sandwich With Colby and Bacon
As the chicken finishes cooking, place a slice of Colby Jack cheese on top and let it melt. Top with the tomato, lettuce, a couple of pieces of bacon, and a good dollop of BBQ sauce.
What To Serve With a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
How To Store Leftover Chicken Sandwiches
To keep the leftovers of cooked chicken fresh, let it cool to room temperature, wrap the pieces individually in plastic, and place the wrapped pieces in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
To store the chicken for over three days, wrap each piece in plastic and place it in a freezer bag. Put in the freezer for up to three months.
How To Best Reheat a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
You can reheat thawed, cooked chicken breasts in a skillet over medium heat. To keep the meat from drying out, pour just enough water or chicken stock into the skillet to cover the bottom. When the water begins to simmer, add the chicken. Cook uncovered on both sides until hot.
You can also reheat grilled chicken in an air fryer. Set the temperature to 350°F and air fry for about 5 minutes. Drizzle a little lemon juice over the chicken for a fresh flavor.
Love Chick Fil A Food? Try These Copycat Recipes
- Chick Fil A Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Chick Fil A Cobb Salad Recipe
- Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe
Want more for their drinks and desserts? Take a look at these Chick-fil-A copycat recipes.
Favorite Fast Food Sandwich and Burger Recipes
- Arby’s Classic Roast Beef Sandwich
- Burger King Cheeseburger
- Burger King Impossible Burger
- Culver’s Butterburger
- Krystal Burgers
- McDonald’s Hamburger
- Quarter Pounder with Cheese
- Wendy’s Baconator
- White Castle Hamburgers
Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich
You can make a Chick-fil-A grilled chicken sandwich with this easy copycat recipe.
Course Main CourseCuisine AmericanKeyword Chick Fil A Recipes, Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Prep Time 15 minutesCook Time 15 minutesTotal Time 30 minutes
Author Stephanie Manley
IngredientsGrilled Chicken Breast
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup dill pickle juice
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to brush the grill
- 4 multigrain hamburger buns
- 4 pieces leaf lettuce washed
- 8 slices ripe tomato
- Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally and pound the halves thin.
- Place the chicken, dill pickle juice, and buttermilk in a zip-top bag.
- Place the bag in the fridge and let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes, but preferably for several hours.
- Prepare the seasoning blend by combing salt, ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and celery salt in a small bowl. Season chicken with the seasoning blend on both sides of the chicken.
- Heat the grill to 350°F, or use a grill pan.
- Brush the grill with oil.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place the chicken on the grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. The chicken should have an internal temperature of 165°F when you remove it from the grill.
- Toast hamburger buns by spraying a bit of non-stick spray on the insides of the buns, place under a broiler on high heat just until they brown. This should take only about 30 to 45 seconds depending on your broiler.
- Build the sandwich by placing the leaf lettuce on the bottom bun followed by two tomato slices, and grilled chicken. Place the top bun on the chicken.
NutritionCalories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 1477mg | Potassium: 465mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2mg